AAUW – Nebraska advocacy efforts at the state level align with AAUW’s Public Policy Priorities. For information on establishing these priorities and a 2017-19 summary of them, click here. AAUW-NE annually reviews bills proposed in the Nebraska Legislative Session and determines its legislative priorities for the session.
AAUW – Nebraska Legislative Notices
2019 Legislative Priorities Summary Report; 2019 Legislative Priorities Final Report
– Addition information on these bills from other organizations:
— LB83 – from Civic Nebraska – Katrina’s Story
— LB43 – from the Women’s Fund of Omaha – Sexual Assault Survivors’ Bill of Rights
– Mar 6, 2019: Action Alert – Oppose LB670 – Using Public Funds for Private Education, Oppose LB670 Information
– Mar 8, 2019: Priorities Update
– Mar 24, 2019: Priorities Update, NE Unicameral Lawmaking Process
— LB217 advanced to Select File; it would prohibit employers from retaliating against employees for discussing wages. See LB217 Talking Points for information about the importance of this bill.
— LB311 would adopt the Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance Act. Senator Machaela Cavanaugh of Omaha designated it as her priority bill. Priority bills, if advanced from committee, are virtually guaranteed debate on the floor. While LB311 advance to General File, it stalled after a three-hour debate on the floor. The Omaha World-Herald reported, “Legislative Bill 311 lacked the required votes for debate to continue, and the issue won’t come up again in 2019 unless sponsors can show they have close to the 33 votes needed to defeat an expected filibuster. That appears unlikely.”
— How to Take Action on LB311:
—- Contact the three main supporters of LB311, Senators Sue Crawford of Bellevue, Matt Hansen of Lincoln, and Machaela Cavanaugh of Omaha to thank them for their efforts on the floor.
—- Contact your senator to describe how LB311 would benefit you, your family, or someone you know. Sharing about LB311 could help bring this bill back for floor debate in the future.
2018 Legislative Priorities Summary Report; 2018 Legislative Priorities Final Report
– Feb 6, 2018: Action Alert and Updates, Make Your Voice Heard, Priorities Update
– Feb 24, 2018: Action Alerts and Updates, LB295 Talking Points, Priorities Update
– Mar 22, 2018: Action Alert on LB295, Information on LB295
2017 Legislative Priorities Summary Report; 2017 Legislative Priorities Final Report
– Feb 9, 2017: Priorities Update
– Mar 5, 2017: Note to Members and Priorities Updated
– Mar 7, 2017: Action Alert on LB120 – Family Planning Access Expansion, and LB120 Fact Sheet
– Mar 15, 2017: Action Alert on LB630 – Independent Public Schools Act
– Mar 30, 2017: Action Alert on LB441 – Medicaid Expansion Out of Committee
– Apr 2, 2017: Priorities Update, Bill Watch Update for use in being involved in the priorities.
Interested in learning more about AAUW initiatives or getting involved with Nebraska public policy? Contact AAUW-NE Public Policy Chair, Sapphire Andersen.